Facebook application development
I am sure you have heard of all the hype about the fastest growing social networking site, Facebook. Facebook has become very popular, so much so it even creates new jobs in IT & T industry. How do I know, I hear you ask. Have a look at this job ad on CrunchBoard – Facebook Application Developers. Companies are looking for skilled Facebook application developers who will help them build popular Facebook apps. According to the job ad, you will need the following skills to be considered:
* PHP development experience with PostgreSQL.
* Strong knowledge of the PHP5 Object model.
* Working knowledge of XHTML & CSS.
* Facebook API REST-based interface experience.
* Facebook Query Language (FQL) experience.
* Facebook Markup Language (FBML) experience.
* Effective communications skills to interface with non-technical staff to gather requirements.
* Excellent debugging and optimization experience.
I did a search on some popular job search engines in Australia (seek.com.au, careerone.com.au and mycareer.com.au) for the keyword “facebook” but no relevant result was found. On the other hand, there seems to be more Facebook related job in North America, and the States; employers are looking for Web API and Widget Developer, Facebook Application Developer, Software Developer for Facebook Applications and etc.
I think it is safe to say that Facebook is quickly becoming a development platform with its own markup and query language called Facebook Markup Language (FBML) and Facebook Query Language (FQL).
So maybe it’s time for us developers to start digging into Facebook application development if we haven’t already?
Other similar posts that you might be interested in:
- How to customise your Facebook Fan Page with FBML
- Quick facts about PHP
- Apps on Friendster
- Five Important Steps into iPhone App Development for Beginners
- Weekly round-up: 15 must read development, design and blogging articles
- 2008 Year-End Google Search Report (Google Zeitgeist)
- Tips for iPhone Web App Development