In a few days, my daughter is turning four! She is definitely not old, but she will be older than she was a year ago. More than anything, I’d like my daughter to be happy and healthy as she grows up. Sure, I’d like her to be academically smart and financially successful, because let’s face it, which parent don’t. But if I think about what really matters, then academic and financial success are not at the top of the list.
So my dear Mia, these are the 10 things I’d like you to know, as you get a year older. Some of them might not make sense to you right now, but trust me, they will all make sense one day.
1. Enjoy simple things in life, for example, a hot cup of Milo, an ice block, an evening walk at the park.
2. Health is more important than status or wealth. Choose health.
3. Happiness is a choice and a state of mind. You can choose to be happy regardless of the situation. Choose to be happy.
4. Nobody is superior or inferior.
5. There are many ways to solve a problem.
6. Choose your battles so you can win the big war.
7. Don’t lose sight of the big picture.
8. Remember the 4 L’s – Love. Laugh. Listen. Live.
9. Look after yourself first, so you can look after other people.
10. Treat every challenge as an opportunity for growth.
I love you, my darling. Thank you for always inspiring me and making me a better person.