I was looking to buy a premium WordPress Theme for one of my projects a while ago and I came across ThemeForest and WooThemes. There are other premium WordPress Theme stores like Elegant Themes, Templatic, Template Monster, etc, but ThemeForest and WooThemes are leading the market. After looking around for a while, I decided to review and compare ThemeForest and WooThemes.
- Useful interface (you can search themes by criteria, list themes by authors, see ratings for each theme, no. of sales made, etc)
- Cheap (average $25 - $30 per theme)
- Comes with PSD (Photoshop file)
- Lots of variety
- Comments section for each theme allow you to directly communicate with the theme author and ask questions
- Customising each theme can be very different because they are built and designed by many theme developers around the globe.
- Support is provided by the theme author rather than the ThemeForest staff
- Mostly English Only
Quality of themes:
Most themes come with Cufon/sIFR Custom font, jquery plugins, pre-installed WordPress plugins like Related Posts, Most Popular Posts, Social Linking, etc.
- Great Support / Knowledge Base available to theme users and theme owners
- Standard "Theme Options" in the admin section that is built on a single WooThemes framework to allow you to customise each theme very easily
- Available in multiple languages
- No Advanced Interface (eg: You can't browse themes by author or rating or popularity)
- Expensive (average $70 per theme) *Cheaper if you join the theme club
- PSD only included for Developer License (Average price of a Developer License for each theme: $150)
- Fewer themes compared to ThemeForest
Quality of themes:
As with ThemeForest, most themes from WooThemes come with Cufon Custom font, jquery plugins, pre-installed WordPress plugins like Related Posts, Most Popular Posts, Social Linking, etc. The quality of themes from both stores are very similar. Themes from both stores are written in valid XHTML/CSS, compatible with most modern browsers, etc.
Which one to buy?
As I mentioned earlier, if you are looking for a lot of variety and a value for money, ThemeForest is definitely the answer. The pricing is a lot more affordable compared to WooThemes as they have a bigger community. But if you are looking for consistency and a standard framework and are willing to pay more for that, WooThemes is your friend.