A few days ago, I wrote my fail list of 2020. But it's not all doom & gloom over here. I am definitely grateful for everything I've achieved in 2020, amidst the global pandemic. I'd like to share with you top five things I've done that I considered most impactful.
Without any further ado, here is my success list of 2020.
- 📕 I wrote and published two books to help professionals in the tech industry navigate top two challenges of the year - remote work & job search; The Accidental Remote Manager and Nail That Interview - Tips for interviewing for tech jobs remotely.
- I am on track to finish my 5th book - 💡 The Engineering Manager's How-To Guide in Jan next year (you can pre-order here). It is gonna be a great book as it is very targeted for engineering managers. In this ebook, you won't find generic advice like having a regular 1:1's, giving feedback, etc. Yes those things are are absolutely important, but they are not specific to an engineering manager's role.
- I coached and mentored 15 professionals in the tech industry and 90% of them were women in tech.❤️
- I have been averaging 10k steps a day since April this year. It's helping me keep fit & unblock my creativity, I wrote about it in my blog post: 4Ls Retrospective Of Working From Home and Homeschooling as an Engineering Manager and a Mom
- Last but not least, I started trying a lot more things and putting myself out there more this year and I'm finally ok with not getting a 🏆 every single time for my efforts. (PS: Not a real trophy - figurative speech.)
If this year had taught us anything, it's that...
We are stronger than we think, more resilient than we know and more talented than we give ourselves credit for.
See you in 2021.